Thursday, February 12, 2009

Little News Bits

I hope you enjoyed the pictures I finally had the opportunity to post! Now I'll share little newsy bits of updates.

1. Our water quit working for 4 days. The evening it came back on I washed dishes with more glee than I ever have! It quit again today but is back this evening.

2. All my roommates left except one. She and I are holding down the fort until 2 more volunteers arrive on the 20th.

3. This last month I lived with 3 German volunteers and had a German ADRA worker as a neighbor. The 2 volunteers coming the 20th are also German. For a while it seemed like I was learning more German than Swahili!

4. Today on her way to work one of our nannies got hit in the face with the bus door. I still haven't figured out how. Her nose may be broken. Ouch.

5. David, a one-year-old, left the other night with his dad and aunt. So many children have left in the last 6 weeks! This is a good thing though.

6. We got a new HIV+ little boy not too long ago. He was very sick and the doctors thought he had tuberculosis but an x-ray proved negative. Yay!

7. I'm planning my trip to Mozambique in May. I'd really like to go overland. It would be such an adventure! But flying isn't much more expensive than overlanding and it would take 4-6 hours instead of 5 days. The main deciding factor is this: it's really not safe for a young female to travel 2300 miles alone! So unless I find a travel buddy (this could be YOU!), I will probably fly.

8. I made a vegetable pot pie from scratch today and it turned out REALLY good! It was the first time I've ever made it. I gathered tips from a couple different recipes then did my own thing and I'm proud to say it's yummy! I also made this eggplant marinara dish (like eggplant parmesan but without cheese!) that turned out really well. Mmmm!

9. I saw a bush baby almost a month ago. So cute! It jumped onto the stair railing just a few feet in front of me.

10. I cut my hair again just a couple days after New Year. The pictures I posted yesterday accurately reflect its length.

11. I'm still raising money. I just received some generous donations...THANK YOU! I'm still raising more because a) I have to get to Mozambique and the ticket costs $394, and b) I want to give money to Cradle of Love.

12. My Kiswahili is slowly improving.

13. No matter how hard I try to ignore the fact, I'm still allergic to mangoes. All types of mangoes. The allergy gets a little worse each time. I'm finally getting smart and staying away from them. For the most part.

14. I recovered from malaria in just 2 days. What a blessing!

15. I think I want to foster children back in the states. I can't imagine going to church, going to the market (aka grocery shopping), or doing just about anything without a toddler to take care of. For the next few years I'll have to steal my nephew from my sister as much as she allows! Melissa, take advantage of free babysitting!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's great that you got over your Malaria in just a couple days. Someone told me that it's the kind of illness that bothers you throughout your life. And you're allergic to mangoes in a place they grow locally? bummer