Monday, February 16, 2009

Iced Tea and Home

I'm drinking homemade iced tea right now. Everything I eat or drink is homemade, except crackers and (for now) yogurt. Ok, and milk and cheese. And I'm sure you can think of a few other things. But I do make a lot of stuff!

The purpose of this blog was to write and say that it's gloomy-looking today and I hope it rains. But it just started raining! Wish granted! Yay!

I can't tell you how much I love Africa and how tempted I am to stay here. If I were done with school, you might have to drag me home! But since I know I have to finish university, I'm dutifully coming back.

Lately I've really found peace in the old phrase: This world is not my home; I'm just passing through. 1 Peter 2:11 says just that! We're not supposed to feel cozy or at home here on this earth. Africa is not my home. America is not my home. Heaven is my home! Wherever I stay here on earth is up to God and His plan for me. The only "home" that I long for is my home in heaven with Christ.

(Wow, it's REALLY raining!)

They say home is where the heart is. It's true. The Bible says it also in Matthew 6:21 -- where are treasure is, there will our heart be. My treasure and my home are one and the same: Christ Jesus. Matthew 13:45-46 talks about seeking the kingdom of God as a pearl of great price. The message is clear: We are "refugees" here on earth, and rather than settle and live as the natives do, we must find our way to the One who can take us home!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

to enjoy such a charitable thing as you're doing is great!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweet Katie! I knew you would fall in *love* with Africa! :) Thanks for your pictures and blog! I pray for you often, and am so thankful you have this opportunity!

Love,

Cindy