Sunday, February 15, 2009

Camels and Mambas

The toddlers playing with my nose after bathtime.


Maria poked me and as I turned in surprise toward her, Steffi snapped this shot.


Our matching dresses!


My princess playing around.



The two baby camels

Beautiful northern Tanzania



Yesterday my boss' son took me on a hike up the hill to see some camels. I've never seen camels so I was really excited to go! We walked through dry brown fields and lush green foliage and even followed a river part of the way. It was quite lovely! When we reached the lodge where the camels are kept, they were out feeding so we had to wait almost an hour. We spent the hour walking around and then sitting by the river. Brendon took pictures of the scenery, the birds, and some kids picking watercress. I spent half the time in my own little world and the other half being my chatty self. While we were at the river (which was wide but shallow and almost more of a marsh), I saw a bright green snake swimming across a narrow channel. There are only two bright green snakes in this region: the green tree snake and the green mamba. The green tree snake is nocturnal, so chances are...! While I'm more nervous walking around now, I feel privileged to have seen one of these rare (and extremely venomous) creatures.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

I LOVE your matching dresses! Too much fun! :D

Sasha said...

Katie! Those pictures are COMPLETELY ADORABLE. We need a photo swap session when we get back to wallawalla next year!