Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I thought I wanted to be pursued....

It's common knowledge (I hope) that women want to be pursued and chased after. We want our men to boldly declare their love and seek us, even if we're hard to attain. Many girls I know are frustrated that guys these days just don't take the time or energy to really pursue women.

I thought I wanted to be pursued. But when I said I wanted to be chased, I didn't mean literally chased. Down the street.

On Friday my roommates and I went out to lunch. Three girls stayed behind in Usa River to get on the internet, while another girl and I walked back to Cradle of Love. It's about a 15-minute walk. On the way we stopped at the post office. Shortly after we stepped inside and joined the queue (that's what they call lines here), a young man came up to me, breathless.

Man: I need to talk to you. I'll wait outside until you're done.
Katie (coolly): If you need to talk to me, do it here and now.
Man: I'll wait outside. I ran after you all the way from the plaza.
Katie: Talk to me right here, right now. (The other girl is still standing next to me)
Man: Ok I'll just leave then.
Katie: Okay.
Man: Oh, please, just talk to me outside. This is an office.
Katie: I don't care.
Man: Fine. (lowers voice to whisper) May I have your e-mail address?
Katie (finally cracking an amused smile): No.
Man: Oh come on, please!
Katie: Nope. (walks away)

When my roommate and I left the post office a few minutes later, I noticed the man standing outside.

I thought that was the end of the story. Quite an entertaining story! But it gets better.

After work that day I went upstairs and one of my roommates greeted me with, "I have something for you!" I got excited, thinking there was mail. Instead she pulled out of her pocket a small folded piece of paper with an e-mail address on it.

"I was at the internet cafe and some guy came up and asked if I was your friend. He asked me to give you this," she explained.

Apparently he had gone back to the plaza and found my roommates!

One persistent guy. Too bad I am a mean mzungu and will never write to him. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha ouch.