Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Havilah Fun Day

Lyte pauses from playing in the pool to snap a picture with me. What a sweet girl!
Dorcas blows up a balloon. The kids loved them!

All the Havilah kids playing in the little bit of water we put into Davona's pool.
I'm not sure who the kid on my right is, but he and Dorcas and I had fun shooting this picture.


On Sunday, Nov. 16, we invited the 20 kids and 4 staff from Havilah Village down for a fun day in the sun. Havilah Village is an orphanage just a handful of kilometers up the road. It is located near the University of Arusha, the Adventist University here in Tanzania. Havilah Village is run by Global Vessels and takes kids as young as 3. Currently their oldest children are 9, but they keep kids until they are 18. Two student missionaries from Andrews University are serving there. I get to socialize with them on Sabbath after church sometimes.

I was in charge of games, so I organized Simon Says, Duck Duck Goose, a water balloon toss, and tossing a bean bag through holes in a board. We split the kids into groups and rotated through the games. We stopped for a yummy lunch of beans, rice, cooked kale, caramel popcorn and cake (the cake made by me!), as well as some slightly stale but much-appreciated chips donated by a local grocery store. At the end all the kids got a prize toy.

It was a great day with wonderful weather!

No comments: