Sunday, October 5, 2008

Lions and Zebras and Elephants, oh my!

Today we went on a safari to the Ngorongoro Crater! We had to leave Usa River at about 6am so we could make it to the crater by mid-morning.

Before we looked at the animals in the bottom of the crater, we stopped at a Masaai village and took a tour. They even danced for us! This is me with one of the Masaai men outside his hut made out of dung!




Here I am holding elephant bones with a water buffalo skull at my feet.

We saw all kinds of animals in the crater: elephants, water buffalo, wildebeast, hippos, lions!, zebras, warthogs, dik-diks, many birds, a hyena, and rhinos!

In the picture above, you can see that the safari vehicles are following two lions as they walk down the road. How exciting! We also had the rare opportunity to see a lioness hunt and kill a zebra.

1 comment:

Sasha said...

WOW Katie! That is so amazing! What an experience you are having! I will definitely be keeping up with your blog. All of your stories are so unique and interesting. I'll pray for your health and safety in amazing Africa :)
Sasha