Friday, September 19, 2008

I Have Arrived!

I am finally here in Tanzania! I had a wonderful trip with even a few surprising blessings! Due to an overnight layover, I was supposed to sleep alone in a hotel room in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Naturally I was nervous about this, especially since I don't know the language and have no way of contacting anyone should I need assistance. Well, the plane I was on from Washington, D.C. to Addis Ababa stops in Rome to refuel (it is a looooong flight!). When we landed in Rome, I noticed that a young man about 5 seats away looked an awful lot like a student at Walla Walla University. I approached him and he recognized me. How amazing to coincidentally have a flight with another WWU student! And he informed me that 2 more WWU students were sitting farther forward in the plane! The 3 were headed to Ethiopia as student missionaries, and invited me to spend the night with them instead of alone. I am so glad they did! I felt much safer, and much happier with companionship.

I have been at Cradle of Love for almost 24 hours. I like it very much! The babies are absolutely adorable, and the staff are very friendly and welcoming. We even have monkeys in our yard! I saw 2 of them just now as I walked back to the orphanage from the director's home.

I went to church this morning (it's Sabbath for me, since I'm 10 hours ahead of the West Coast) and had the pleasure of meeting some other foreigners. I have heard that there are 2 student missionaries from Andrews University working in the area. I would very much like to meet them soon!

Tomorrow Max & Davona Church (Max=ADRA Tanzania Director; Davona=Cradle of Love Director) are going to take me to Usa River (walking distance) to the market so I can buy fresh vegetables. Yesterday I bought bread, peanut butter, and eggs at the local shop, which is really just a hut with a few necessities.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I'm so glad you were able to find companionship on your journey to Africa. God is amazing!

Blessings as you get accustomed to your new way of life for the next year or so.