Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"Sina Pupa Mungu Amenipa"

Before I begin with what I intended to talk about, I want to say thank you to whoever sent me the anonymous valentine (written in Swahili!) in the package from Walla Walla. Whoever you are, THANK YOU! :)

Kangas are worn by all the local ladies. A kanga is a square piece of fabric with some sort of design and a Swahili proverb at the bottom. The words can be anything from "Honor your parents and you will be blessed" to "I'm sorry for your loss." Locals often use them as gifts.

On Friday Marsha and I wandered the streets of Arusha while we were waiting for the mechanic to finish fixing the car so we could drive out to Lake Manyara for the weekend (I'll have to write another blog about that). We found some kangas and I bought a few. My favorite is the one I'm wearing this morning. It's blue and white and says: "Sina pupa Mungu amenipa." It's translated as: "I have no pupa because God has given me." 'Pupa' can be translated as hurry, haste, eagerness, or greediness. Take your pick. Basically, "I'm not in any rush because God provides."
Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it would be a cool practice to give those as gifts!