Friday, March 27, 2009

Maxwell Adventist Academy

I've been here at Maxwell for four days now. I started tutoring my first night and have spent my days and evenings tutoring ever since. I get up in time for worship at 6:45am and fall into bed when study hall ends at 10pm. The days are long, but I really enjoy it. I've made friends with the staff and SMs here. They are all so friendly and helpful.

The students call me "Miss Katie," at the request of the dean. I like it; it's cute. When I don't have tutoring appointments, I chat with the assistant girls' dean (an SM from North Carolina) or I read. It's nice to have access to books!

Sometimes students sit me down to ask me questions about Walla Walla. I'm learning how to be a good recruiter. I like it.

The students are all very kind to me. They greet me every time they see me and ask me how I'm doing. Many of them have gone out of their way to introduce themselves to me or spend a little extra time with me.

Being on this campus reminds me again how much I loved boarding academy. If any Milo staff or students are reading this, thanks for 3 amazing years!!!

I'll be here until April 5. On Sunday there is a banquet. I'll be preparing food and possibly serving also. I'll probably write more about that next week.

Please keep the students, especially those in Math 1 and Algebra 1, in your prayers. Many are struggling. The teacher is at a loss for what to do, and I feel his pain. On the flip side, I also empathize with the students...it's frustrating to not understand something. So please pray for them to find understanding and be able to pass their math classes.

2 comments:

rcpatch said...

How are you enjoying Maxwell? From the sounds of it, it is going well. I've been to Maxwell a few times when I've gone and visited Kenya. are you doing any of the national parks there too? Like around Mt. Kilimanjaro, or the Masai Mara?

Anonymous said...

hey miss katie,
you might not remember me, coz i was really good at algebra 1, hahaha
i didnt talk to you that much but we were happy to meet you on campus
maxwell is kinda stupid school i know, but hope you had good time thou.

one of my good friends, momo is going to walla walla (right?), hope u can welcome him.. lol

God bless you. - min