Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Days Are Disappearing

I somehow managed to hurt my foot, and so I limped around campus yesterday and today. Hopefully it'll resolve itself soon. Thankfully I don't have much walking on my itinerary.

Today I slept in and then relaxed with my roommates into the late morning. I stayed up late last night trying to get ahold of a friend back home and had a tough time rolling out of bed this morning. Davona and I drove to the airport at 11am to pick up our newest volunteer, Krissy.

Four of us girls went into Usa for lunch. I finally tried chipsi mayai, a Tanzanian favorite. It is an egg omelet with fries inside. Sounds healthy, right? I finally decided to ignore it's nutritional lack of value and just try it. It was decent, but would have been significantly better with ketchup or Taco Bell hot sauce.

After lunch, three of the girls headed back home but I walked down to Mamo Catering, a business run by a German ex-pat. He sells yummy baked goods. The two girls who work there are close to my age and have become my friends over the months. The one who knows English, Irene, told me she would make me "something special." I expected a pretzel or something equally trivial (though much appreciated!). Instead, she greeted me with a whole loaf of macadamia nut bread! Salome (the other girl) presented me with 3 sweet muffins. How kind of them! I talked with them until a quarter past four and then decided I should probably head back to work. :)

Back at the orphanage I discovered that I couldn't work because the internet was down...again. All I need to do is e-mail one work permit, and I can't do it! I'm upstairs now, so I can't do it from here. Krystal and I joke that the internet hates us.

Our stove was heading out of commission until today, when Ross (an ADRA worker from Australia) and his wife Ramona came and fixed it. Yippee!

I'm almost finished packing, and it looks like my bags will make it under the weight limit.

No comments: