Monday, December 22, 2008

Dar es Salaam

Without my computer it's been hard to keep my blog up-to-date. I apologize.

Right now I am in Dar es Salaam, the biggest city in Tanzania. I think about 4 million people live here.

I arrived Sabbath evening from Arusha and spent that night, Sunday, and most of Monday with a group from European Bible School in Norway. A lifelong friend, Katrina Cooksley, was in the group. It was SO nice to see someone from home! We had a great time catching up and sharing travel experiences.

The group left on Monday, but an hour or so later 2 of my roommates from CoL showed up. The three of us spent last night here in Dar (at the good ol' YMCA) and this morning they took the early ferry (7:15am) to Zanzibar. Unfortunately, I couldn't accompany them (though I was supposed to) because the immigration office STILL hasn't released my resident permit. It is approved and paid for, but they keep wasting my time. I've been waiting for it for more than 3 weeks now. I applied in November. The latest word is that I should get it by noon today. Then I'll be able to catch a later (and more decrepid) ferry to Zanzibar to meet up with my friends.

The three of us are spending Christmas in Zanzibar on the beach. How odd it will be applying sunscreen knowing that my family is bundling up and playing in the snow!

In advance, I wish you all a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Thank you for your prayers and words of encouragement, especially regarding my computer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and a sunny Christmas to you, too

Anonymous said...

Hey Love!!! I just looked through and skimmed all your posts. I'm SO incredibly inspired and jealous of you right now. It looks like you're having an AMAZING experience. I'm so happy for you! Keep writing and I'll keep reading! *HUGS*